Thursday, April 2, 2009

Web 2.0 & You

I found this YouTube video by Micheal Wesch at Kansas State University title Web 2.0 ... The Machine is Us/ing Us. Dr. Welsch is a professor at KSU, studying the impact effect of social media and digital technology on the global culture. The video is a little off topic of web 2.0 and authentic audiences, but it is a nice 5 minute look into how a change in code language enabled web 2.0 tools and technologies to interface and connect together.



The following ideas that stuck out to me from the video:
  • How because form is separate from content in XML, content from one tool easily transfer to another tool (think RSS feeds of blogs or attaching Flickr photos to Google Maps)
  • All the connections I make on the web each day (tagging photos in Flickr that cause them to appear in Google Image searches, linking articles and videos to my blog, commenting on user forums and leaving links to more information, booking marking webpages in Delicious and Diigo and sharing them with my network)
I read a few of his articles (they are listed on the About Us page). While they were very interesting and thought provoking, they are off topic as well. So I won't go into detail here, but I did bookmark them for future use.

1 comment:

  1. Although I do not understand much of this blog posting, it has inspired me to learn how to post a video segment. I realy like how you add visual media as well as the text.

    ReplyDelete